Former President Trump on Monday threatened legal action against various news media outlets and the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, attacks on the Capitol on the same day his legal team filed the lawsuit against CNN.
Trump did not specify what other media outlets he plans to sue but said he would file lawsuits against them for their “disinformation” about the 2020 election, which he defeated President Biden.
“In the coming weeks and months we will also be filing lawsuits against a large number of other Fake News Media Companies for their lies, defamation and misconduct, including those relating to the ‘Big Lies’, which they often use as references. against their disinformation attacks in the 2020 Presidential Election,” Trump wrote in the statement.
The former president said he would target the Jan. 6 committee for not investigating his claims of election fraud, which are at the center of dozens of lawsuits by Trump in courts across the US, all of which were dismissed or dismissed, some by judges he appointed.
“The Unselect Committee has refused to acknowledge, as did Inspector General Biden at the Department of Defense, and others, that a few days before January 6, I recommended and allowed thousands of troops to be deployed to ensure that there is peace, safety and security in the Capitol and across the nation,” Trump added.
Biden has not been sworn in as president in the days leading up to January 6. There is also no evidence that Trump ordered extra security at the Capitol in anticipation of violence there that day.
In a lawsuit filed against CNN on Monday, Trump’s lawyers claim the network “has attempted to use its immense influence—supposedly as a ‘trusted’ news source—to defame Plaintiffs in the minds of its viewers and readers for the purpose of politically defeating him, which culminating in CNN claiming the award for ‘[getting rid of] Trump’ in the 2020 presidential election.”
Trump is seeking $475 million in damages.
Trump announced his intention to sue the network earlier this summer, saying in a statement that he “will also initiate action against other media outlets who have defamed me and deceived the public with evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election.”